From: "Lars Nilsson" <Lars@standardarmament.com>
To: <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 10:58 AM
Subject: [pct-l] Water from Campo to I-15

I do not know how much you weigh or your normal hiking speed, but I
think you could be risking your life by hiking that section with that
little water.  I am 48, and weigh about 225 lbs.  From Pioneer Mail to
Rodriguez Spur Tank is about 16 miles as I remember.  Lucky 5 cache
probably will not be stocked unless you stock it yourself.  Mason Truck
Tank is closed/empty.  Temps will be around 110+.  In April, I used 8
liters from Pioneer to Rodriguez (camping about 1 mile north of Lucky
5).  You have to realize that you will probably not encounter any other
humans along this stretch and so you will be entirely on your own.  If
you twist your ankle three miles from Rodriguez and you have 1 liter
left and it's getting close to noon, you will be in grave danger!  There
is NO shade along this section of trail.  From Rodriguez to Scissors
Crossing you will be fine with 6 liters.  From Scissors to Barrel
Springs is about 24 miles with a 2000 ft. elevation gain in the 1st 10
miles.  Load up with 8 liters, drink 1 more liter before leaving
Scissors, & START AFTER 6PM.  You will make it to Barrel Springs with no
water and you will be thirsty.  After Warner Springs things get just a
little easier.  Frankly, I think anyone considering hiking this section
(Campo to Hwy 74) in July is asking for trouble.  Notify next of kin,
but it will be so hot, don't be surprised if they come looking for you
until October.

Sincerely,

Lars Nilsson