[pct-l] Water along The San Felipe Hills

Just an add-on to the discussion regarding water from Campo to the 15, and specifically through the San Felipes:

For the short time I've been lurking the PCT-L, I've not read any mention about an important source of water mid-way through the San Felipes.
When I tagged along with Charlie Jones to cache my own water at 3rd Gate last Sunday, Charlie had let me in on a little secret!
>From 3rd Gate, there's a small trail that leads downhill and east of the PCT. There's a rough sign that simply says "water" and points downhill.
About a mile and a half down this trail, at "The Post", there another sign pointing east/northeast. About another mile or so from this second sign is a small "ranch". Charlie Jones knows the owner, who grants access to him through his property to get to 3rd Gate. Charlie parks at "The Post", where additional water which didn't get hiked up to 3rd Gate is left at.
There's an abandoned house (Charlie says it used to be the head caretaker's house) with a water faucet! There's also a small pen of livestock, so there's another faucet somewhere near there as well.
I didn't post this before, as I didn't know if the owner wanted PCT hikers to trespass onto his property. But Charlie says that the owner is ok with PCT hikers getting water from his faucet!

BUT...

The owner asks that hikers return to the trail. PERMISSION TO TAKE WATER IS NOT AN OPEN INVITATION TO VISIT THE OWNER/EMPLOYEES, NOR TO CAMP ON THE RANCH ITSELF.

So there you have it! If there is no water left at 3rd Gate Cache, There MAY be water at "The Post" 1-1/2 miles away. If there's no water left at "The Post", then a walk of another mile-mile and a half will get you to the faucet!

I suggest that you still pack your water in yourself. Or, if you're as fortunate as I was in having Charlie let you tag along with him, then hide your water at 3rd Gate yourself.

At least you won't die of thirst in the San Felipes.

M i c h a e l   S a e n z
McLarand Vasquez Emsiek & Partners, Inc.
A r c h i t e c t u r e    P l a n n i n g    I n t e r i o r s
w  w  w  .  m  v  e  -  a  r  c  h  i  t  e  c  t  s  .  c  o  m