[pct-l] water at Scissors Crossing

After the ADZ, I "hopped" onto the trail at Pioneer Mail and hiked to Scissors Crossing.  I carried two gallons of water (heavy!) because I did not want to count on the caches.  Many of the hikers were doing just that - relying on the caches!  Even with the record high temperatures, I did just fine without using the caches. I did filter one liter from the tank at Rodriguez Spur - just because I had carried my filter and decided to use it!  Some of the hikers took only a couple liters from the tank - saying they planned to use the cache at Scissors to get them to Barrel Spring.  Lucky for them that Anne and Jim (and Freefall) were stocking the cache that day.
Even though it was hot hiking, the flowers were spectacular, the people were fun and I had a great time.  It was hard to leave the trail and come back to the (un)real world.
Katy

cmkudija@earthlink.net wrote:
I've been amazed at the proliferation of water caches over the last few
years, and I've actually become quite concerned that people are becoming
dependent on them instead of using their own resourcefulness (and, ahem, the
guidebooks) to plan their water needs and resupply locations. Is there
water in San Felipe Creek now? If it is, is there any data on its quality
(agricultural chemicals as well as various bovine & human waste) and whether
filters can adequately purify it? Considering that we've had several dryish
years in soCal, I wouldn't be surprised if the creek was dry.

We drank the San Felipe Creek water in '94 and suffered no ill effects (so
far). That said, I know I'd be eternally grateful for a water cache when
the expected water source was dry or unavailable - such as campground
spigots turned off midweek.

Christine "Ceanothus" Kudija
PCT partially '94