[pct-l] Entry to USA from Canada on the PCT

Hi,

I've searched a little more on the web about the legal aspects of entering
the US via the PCT.

"Everyone seeking entry into the United States -- whether U.S. citizen,
U.S. lawful permanent residents and other immigrants, or visitors -- must
be inspected at the point of entry."
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/leavingarrivinginUS/how_do_i/documentary_requirements.xml

Ports of entries in Washington (Note the PCT is not listed!)
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contacts/ports/wa/

Now boaters have the option to enter the USA from Canada if they have an
I-68 form WITHOUT showing up in an official port of entry:
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/leavingarrivinginUS/how_do_i/cbbl.xml

Notice it states:
"Current immigration regulations require that every application for entry
to the United States must be made in person to an immigration officer at a
port-of-entry at a time when the port is open for inspection. One
exception to this requirement is the Canadian Border Boat Landing (I-68)
Program, which allows certain applicants entering the United States by
small boat to be inspected only once per year, and thereafter enter from
time to time for recreational purposes without further inspection.
[...]
There is no requirement that boaters obtain Form I-68. However, boaters
who choose not to obtain Form I-68 must report, in person, for inspection
by either an immigration or customs officer at a port-of-entry each time
they enter the United States. U.S. citizen boaters who enter the United
States with aliens who are without Form I-68 and without reporting for
inspection may be subject to fine and/or possible seizure of the boat.
Non-U.S. citizens traveling by boat who do not have Form I-68 and who have
not presented themselves for inspection are subject to arrest, possible
fine, or removal from the United States."

I'm more and more convinced that it is not legal to enter the USA via the
PCT from Canada (even for US citizens). Obviously many people do, but that
is a different question.

Contact Information for Border Patrol Sectors:
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contacts/border_patrol_sectors3.xml

One can ask questions. This could be neat:
http://help.customs.gov/cgi-bin/customs.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=LUh4Fz9h&p_lva=&p_faqid=722&p_created=1072819931&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NTMyJnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=

Here is what I asked:
"there are several backpacking trails that cross the border between the
USA and Canada. One of these is the Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail
running from Campo in South California through Oregon to Washington into
Manning Park (Canada). I'm concerned about the legal aspects (only US law,
the Canadian regulations are taken care of) of crossing the US-Canadian
border via foot without visiting an official port of entry.

It is my understanding that any US citizen and legal non-immigrant alian
does not violate US law by crossing from the USA into Canada when not
using an official port of entry. Is this correct?

What documents are required to cross from Canada into the USA via foot?
People traveling by boat have the option to apply for an I-68 permit. Is
there an equivalent for backpackers?"
[The reference number for your question is '040423-000005'.]

Let's see what they say.

Ilja.