[pct-l] Entry to USA from Canada on the PCT

Hi David,

> 1. I had a passport to prove who I was.
> 2. I had an I-9 Form which is for entry into USA and a stamp in my
> passport to prove I had entered.

I don't know why you would need an I-9 form. You probably mean an I-94
(white) or an I-94W (green). See
http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/
(But I think the prices are out of date.)

> The main need for the I-9 is when you finally leave USA to go home you
> need it.

The need of the I-94 when leaving is only to show that one left in time
(before the visa run out). You won't be stopped when you don't have one.
It is a service by the airlines to collect them and turn them in to US
officials.

One warning: If you enter the US without a visa because you can get a visa
waiver, then you better complete your throu-hike in 90 days:
"The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) enables citizens of certain countries to
travel to the United States for tourism or business for 90 days or less
without obtaining a visa." [http://travel.state.gov/vwp.html#13]
Otherwise you might want to leave the US, spend some time in Canada and
hope you will be readmitted on a visa waiver for another 90 days to
complete the hike.

> What actually happened is that all transit flights through USA require
> foreign passengers to exit the plane and "enter" USA including getting
> the I-9 (and now a photo and fingerprints). This happened when my flight
> passed through Honolulu. So I now as if by magic had the I-9 and the
> stamp in the passport.

This is true. All transit flights require entering the USA. Normally this
means obtaining an I-94 or I-94W.

Ilja.