[pct-l] NB 801AT & bladder bag

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric Lee (GAMES)" <elee@microsoft.com>
To: "Steve Stenkamp" <sskamp@bendnet.com>; "pct-l" <pct-l@backcountry.net>
Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2004 9:38 PM
Subject: RE: [pct-l] NB 801AT & bladder bag

Steve wrote:

2.  My bladder bag hose has developed llittle black mildew -like spots
in it.  Can't figure out how to clean inside the hose. I have tried a
bleach /water soak but didn't get any results.  I suppose I could quit
being cheap and buy a new one.  anyone have any ideas??

Eric wrote:
Mine does the same thing when I forget to drain it for storage.  I use a
long thin metal rod (purchased from Home Depot in the metal stock
section) to push a cottonball through the hose a couple of times, which
scrubs out the gunk, then I treat it with a diluted bleach solution to
prevent regrowth (for awhile anyway).

If you get to Home Depot, take a look at their variety of plastic tubing,
all sold by the foot.  I saw some that looked very close to bladder tubing.
If there is tubing that has suitable ID and OD, find if the material is safe
for drinking.

Adding to Eric's suggestion, use wire (a straightened coat hanger can work)
to fish a length of twine with a swab tied in the middle (twine a bit more
than twice as long as the tube) through the tube.  The swab can then be
dragged back and forth several times throug the tube, with bleach, baking
soda or whatever added.