[pct-l] Shop-As-You-Go Re-Supply - Will It Work?

I wouldn't worry too much about this.  Mount Laguna is pretty small, but I
was back of the pack then and it was fine for the three days to Warner
Springs.  I'd send a maildrop to Warner Springs. Idyllwild has a big, main
grocery store, so worries there.  Big Bear has tons of stores, so no
problems there either. I then resupplied at the gas station at the
I-15 crossing. The selection isn't huge (except for jumbo Mrs. Fields
cookies), but it is a big, main stop on the interstate, so I wouldn't
worry much about this. I skipped Wrightwood and pushed on to Agua
Dulce.  There is a new store there which might be fine for resupply.
Otherwise, there are mega stores in Santa Clarita, which is easy to
get to thanks (!) to the Saufleys.  Send a mail drop from here to
Kennedy Meadows.  Mojave has mega stores also.  Kennedy Meadows might
be slim pickings, or it could be decent. Still, you need 10 days of
food here, unless you plan to go out to Indpendence.  I would
plan to buy at VVR.  Even if the store is completely empty, you could
buy a couple of sandwiches from the cafe and go to Reds Meadow.  If they
are cleared out, hop on the bus and go into Mammoth.  Tuolumne has a good
sized store, so I wouldn't worry about that either.  South Lake Tahoe has
mega stores. The store in Sierra City is small, but I had no problems
buying there (I was up near the front, though).  Skip Belden and go into
Chester, where there are huge stores and one of the best breakfast joints
on the trail (Kopper Kettle).  Old Station is smallish, but you only need
a day and a half of food to get you to Burney Falls SP.  If BFSP is
empty, the town of Burney is close by.  Dunsmuir has a reasonable store.
By the time you get to Seiad, there won't be much thruhiker pressure,
so don't worry much there either. Ashland is big.  In Oregon, I bought
at the well stocked Mazama Campground, then in Sisters, then in Cascade
Locks.  In Washington, the stores are small, but, again, there won't be
much hiker pressure.  White Pass (didn't actually buy, but got
free food),Snoqualmie, adn Skykomish are all good.  Stehekin is a little
iffy, but there was a good hiker box and the fabulous Bakery.

In terms of fuel, the only tough leg is from Agua Dulce to Kennedy
Meadows. The town of Mojave had no (no=zero) HEET or denatured.  You can
find fuel in: Idyllwild, Big Bear City (check in at the fire station),
Agua Dulce (=Santa Clarita), Kennedy Meadows (lots of HEET), VVR,
Tuolumne (maybe, can't remember),South Lake Tahoe, Dunsmuir, Ashland,
Sisters, Cascade Locks.  I didn't look between SLT and Dunsmuir, but
Chester probably has fuel.  Also, I think I bought fuel somewhere
between Cascade Locks and Canada, but can't remember where.

Suge

Christopher Willett
Department of Mathematics
Indiana University