[pct-l] Cascades or Sierras?

In a message dated 3/30/04 11:29:57 PM Pacific Standard Time,
mhanssen@hawaii.rr.com writes:

> Am hiking the PCT with my 18 yr old son this Summer. Thought it would be
> great preparation for college! Can hike for 4 weeks total and my window is
> early-July to mid-August. Could do Washington (Cascades) as he lives in
> Seattle, or the CA Sierras. Hear the mosquitoes would be troublesome in
> either. Probably the later, the better? What would be the best way to
> monitor snow conditions in the Cascades? Our days should be FULL since we
> want to fish as well. Any preferences or suggestions?

_____

I know you've received several votes for the Sierras, and I agree that a hike
which includes the John Muir Trail in late July or August would be close to
perfect.  (And, yes, the mosquitoes are not a problem in August, after the snow
has gone.)

However, the Cascades in northern Washington are amazing.  I've only hiked
them once, when I did the northern half of the PCT in '99, but you will find
them less crowded and (for the moment, at least) less regulated than the JMT.
Also, your son can save some money if he doesn't have to spring for an
out-of-state California fishing license.

We all wish we had such choices.  Have a great hike, whichever you choose!