[pct-l] Illegal Contacts

In a message dated 4/2/04 4:55:33 AM, chwillet@indiana.edu writes:

<< I don't think the threat is terribly large, but carrying a small sidearm
for a few miles isn't a major hardship for a little more piece of mind.
You would probably want to carry it out in the open, easily accessible.
Once you clear I-8 (not far north of Morena), the threat is probably none
existent, but that is a decision for you to make.

In reality, throughout S. Cal I would hear people firing off guns whenever I
got near a road crossing. I never took a break along these roads but continued
on a few hundred yards because I figured why invite trouble. Most of those
target practice shooters were probably soused up on booze as they cruised around
in their 4 wheelers looking for something to shoot up. I figured THEY were
FAR more of a threat to me ( intentially or unintentially) than frightened
illegals trying there best to avoid people who could turn them in. Of course I
could have carried a gun and just DARED them to mess with me instead of avoiding
them . I wouldn't trust ANYONE that I knew was carrying a gun other than a cop
with I.D. on him. I'd figure they were paranoid crazies capable of anything.
Give them a couple of beers, and if I look at them crosseyed, anything can
happen. But hey that's just me. Pick your own company
 David C