[pct-l] Training

Joseph,

I imagine that there are as many variations in training as there are in hiking styles; here's what has worked for me.  I've been section hiking for four years, so each year I have to get in shape again.  My goal is to spend the last couple weeks before a hike walking 8-12 miles several days a week, with a pack that weighs at least as much as the heaviest amount I'm likely to carry.  Earlier weeks have less weight and less distance.  Hilly and rough ground is better, but there ain't much of that where I live; to simulate climbs, sometimes I walk the stairs for an hour or so in a tall building.  I also weight train (crunches are very important for my back).  In other words, basically what Jardine recommends.  IMHO, YMMV, HYOH.

Wildheart
<<<