[pct-l] training

I agree with Ron.  I would also suggest hiking with a weighted pack.  This really helps your muscles adjust.  Start slow and light. I began with 4 or 5 miles and 25 pounds. Over the weeks I used more and more weight and for longer distances.  At maximum I was hiking 12 miles every other day with 55 lbs. I feel this has given me the best preparation.  Check out my website for the complete training schedule I used;   www.pctdoghiker.com/preparations.htm

Sign up for our BACKPACKER.com's FREE newsletter and learn about new hiking getaways, gear, and outdoor skills. Go to: http://www.backpacker.com/newsletter