[pct-l] RE: cutbacks

The recent posts concerning cutbacks in the various agencies that administer
the PCT reminds of an incident that I became aware of while hiking in Lassen
National Park about three years ago.  I'm not sure it would have been
prevented by more funding, but I would like to think so. The year before my
hike, six or seven motorcyclist (as opposed to bicyclists) got on the PCT
north of the Park with their dirt bikes, entered the Park, continued three
more miles on the PCT, switched to the Nobles Emigrant Trail, and
obliterated 150 year old historic wagon ruts. They continued on to the
Painted Dune area near Cinder Cone where they proceeded to stage a hill
climb event in which they caused permanent scars to one of the most
beautiful areas of Lassen National Park.  The ranger at Butte Lake told me
that they suspected a skinhead motorcycle club from Redding, but had nobody
in custody at that time.  I would hate to think what else could happen to
the PCT and vicinity if the bad guys are emboldened by  budget cuts.

Does anyone have more information on this incident or know if the
perpetrators were ever caught?

John Coyle