[pct-l] maybe some good news about ETNA

I've been getting mixed signals on the 2004/future status of the Hiker's Hut Hostel in Etna (more about that follows)...  I am trying to get some 'locals' in the Yreka area to check it out and I will report to the pct-l ASAP...

It was reported sometime in January (?) that Bradley's Alderbrook Manor (and the Hiker's Hut Hostel) might not be open for 2004, possibly being up for sale...  I checked their website <http://www.sisqtel.net/~joybrad/> at that time and there was only a title page with no active links...  I checked again about two weeks ago and the website now has a few pages with functioning links, and the rates are slightly higher than last year (still $12.50/bunk in the hostel, but $5/breakfast "now") - so that is a good sign...  However, the phone numbers given on the website are "disconnected" and the email address gets bounced back as "undeliverable/does not exist" - so those are bad signs!!

I will do some more research plus hope that my contacts can find out this season's status prior to ADZPCTKO...  In the meantime, don't scratch Etna off your resupply/layover list - it's a great little town with very nice people - and it does have some other possible accommodations and a respectable number of businesses for your needs.  (Yes, I'm a little biased.  I was raised and lived in Yreka for quite a few years - long ago! - and the Marble, Salmon, and Scott Mountains were my 'stomping' grounds!  And I still might retire to that area - if California can ever straighten out their financial difficulties.)

Good luck to the class of 2004.  Wish I could be with you, but I will have to wait a while longer...  Happy trails!