[pct-l] Nasty Bull

Hey Mike - A couple of us hiked south through the Eagle Rock area about 3 or 4 weeks ago. We were warned as we neared Eagle Rock by a couple coming headed north of just such a bull hanging out with about 50 cows. They said they were kept up on a rock for 45 minutes or so by the bellowing, pawing and snorting bull. Only when the cows began drifting away did the bull leave them. Based on what we were told we gave the herd and bull a wide (1/4 mile or so) berth keeping rocks within running reach to climb on, just in case) and he kept an eye on us but we were evidently out of his sphere of concern. Back where we parked, at Barrel Springs we met another group of hikers who had had a very similar experience..., kept up on a rock that at first seemed to big to climb and then once on top of..., didn't seem tall enough. It took a horseman to chase the bull away. The last hikers claimed they had sworn off vegetarism and there was nothing that sounded better than a big ole steak. Was it just
 spring and too much testosterone? I dunno. Certainly I've hiked around Warner Springs quite a bit and hiked right through herds of cows and never had that sort of experience. Paul

Hi all,

On AsABat's water site Mike S. has a comment about a nasty bull in the
general area of Eagle Rock (north of Barrel Springs). I am thinking of
taking a scout troop through that area in about a month to help them
earn their Hiking merit badge, but will change locations if there looks
like there will be safety issues.

Anyone have any info on the nasty bull?

Thanks in advance.

Mike Maurer