Fwd: Re: [pct-l] pulling a cart/Pink Motel

At 05:10 PM 3/17/04, pfreiman@UCSD.Edu wrote:
>The PCT is "cherry-stemmed" wilderness.  No matter if you are in a BLM, state
>park, national park or national forest you are on wilderness as long as
>you are
>on the PCT.

This is NOT true.

The PCT does not fall under the wilderness act of 1964. Trail crews are
allowed use mechanized devices to maintain the trail as long as it is NOT
IN A DESIGNATED WILDERNESS area.

The forest service even had a brush cutting "bobcat" that it drove down the
trail in the Angeles forest area

Having maintained the trail in both Wilderness and Non Wilderness areas,
under gub'ment supervision, I can assure you that a large distinction is
made. We are allowed to use Chainsaws and brush cutters and powered drills
in non wilderness areas. We are NOT allowed to use them in Wilderness areas.

Check with Pete Fish if you don't believe me.