[pct-l] Hiking the trail with your dog

>>especially when dogs are expressly forbidden in the Wilderness

Dogs are not forbidden in this or any other wilderness on Mt Hood.  I know,
I'm one of the people who patrol up there and around MT Hood as a Wilderness
Steward.
However, I am absolutely supportive of those who don't want their wilderness
experience tainted by someone's unruly dog. IMHO, dogs should be on lead and
trained not to bark (and certainly not to growl).

We cannot enforce leash laws up there, We have to conform to the county laws
in which the wilderness is located.
But we can make people put their dogs on lead if they are infringing on
other's experience.and space.
It's encounters like this that make it harder for those of us who do
advocate for having our dogs on trails, because no one, including me, wants
to be bugged by someone else's dog. Deschutes NF has recently put some rules
into effect that require dogs on lead or a fine on some of the trails around
Sisters.. It's a step in the right direction for those who don't seem to
understand that their dogs are a problem, but a step backwards for those of
us who spend the time to train our dogs properly.

Carolyn Eddy
Goattracks Magazine
www.goattracksmagazine.com