[pct-l] weight loss

shewalkson@yahoo.com writes:

> For those who have thru hiked the pct or for that matter any long distance
> hike what was your average weight loss?
_____

Typically, 20 to 25 pounds.  To restate the obvious, body weight is always a
function of calories in minus calories burned.  If the answer is positive, you
gain weight, if negative, you lose weight.  None of these popular diet or
exercise programs change that, and it matters not whether your intake is protein,
fats or carbs.  (Just keep in mind that there are almost twice as many
calories per ounce in fats as in the other two.)

For me (male, 6' 2" tall), my comfortable weight range is 175 to 190 pounds.
If I get heavier than that I start to feel fat.  I'm near the high end at the
start of a hike, and quickly get down to 175 or less.  Below 170, I'm losing
muscle mass, which is not a good idea.

On the PCT in '97, I got down to 160 pounds.  I was carrying too much weight,
doing too many miles, and could not have continued much longer.  I was
literally starving.  It was a good learning experience.

In '02, on the AT, I went from 185 to 165 in the first month on the trail.  I
overshot my "marathon" weight of 170, but felt good.  From that point I
gained weight by putting in the calories I needed, and ended my hike at about 172.
Ideal.  Good hike.  (I'm back around 190 now.)

Because fats give you more calories per ounce and pack weight is always a
concern, we should carry and eat fats on the trail.  Nuts and peanut butter are
really good for their energy-to-weight ratio.  My favorite, though, is olive
oil.  I carry it in a disposable water bottle with a screw-on top.  They never
leak.