[pct-l] Maps vs books

I'm in the very early stages of planning a through hike for next year
and was wondering whether people think it is necessary to bring maps or
if the maps printed in the books are good enough. Obviously it wouldn't
be practical to bring all the maps with you from the beginning - you
would mail them to yourself along the way. But are they even necessary
compared to the maps in the books? If maps are necessary which maps do
people recommend? I would imagine that the maps in the books are
generally sufficient but that a map would be useful for specific
sections of trail. If so, in what areas would a map be better than the
book?

Thanks,
Mark

-----
Get Above It All at
http://www.AboveCalifornia.com
Got Mac OS X? Get the AboveCalifornia Sherlock Channel:
sherlock://www.AboveCalifornia.com/sherlock/SherlockChannel.xml?
action=add