[pct-l] Mt. Shasta

In a message dated 3/7/2004 7:21:35 PM Eastern Standard Time, crush@ptd.net
writes:

> We would like to climb Mt. Shasta, during our hike this year, how would we
> get there from the trail ??

It's about 20 miles from Castle Crags/Castella.  You could always hitch, but
in the past there have been a few trail angels at the backpacking campground
in the state park that may help you out.  For $15 (in '99) we had the privilage
of climbing the mountain and got a ziplock, and paper lunch bag with kitty
litter in it for human waste.

We took the Avalanche Gulch route, which wasn't all that tough considering
the shape we were in by the time we got there.  I think it's about 7000 feet in
six miles from the parking area.  There are no switchbacks or trail to speak
of right before and after Helen Lake it's mostly a scramble over, scree, talus,
sun cups and snow.

The first afternoon we hike to and camped at Helen Lake (almost 3 miles?),
climbed Shasta following day spliting an empty pack with some clothes and snacks
and made it back to the car that afternoon.

No special gear was need or used, but I almost got beaned by a good size
rock.  I went up and down in trail shoes and shorts.  However, it is advised to
wear some long pants if you intend on a sitting glissade in a chute on the way
down, which is highly recommended fun!   Also a good idea to have an ice ax for
the glissade down too.   It can get fast and you'll need it as a brake.

Cool mountain, we had a perfect weather.

Sly