To: hshires@jps.net;editor@mail.pcta.org;dsaufley@sprynet.com;StoneDancer1@aol.com;edmond@mydogmeg.net;CMountainDave@aol.com
Sent: 3/5/04 2:44:57 PM
Subject: National Geographic Adventure magazine

Hello,

As you may know, our writer Jim Gorman is working on a large cover story about thru-trails in the US for our June/July double issue.

We are hoping to set up a photo shoot for our cover somewhere on the Pacific Crest Trail in the next 10 days or so. We have pinned down one location that sounds very promising AND where we don't have to deal with snow on the ground: it is the Columbia Gorge in Oregon. We want an alpine looking Douglas fir/spruce type of landscape. We are told there's a trail out of the
gorge up onto the grassy plateau above where you can line up the cones of Adams and Rainier...

I'm calling on your expertise/feedback with the following questions:
- has any of you been on that section of the PCt, and if yes, is there indeed nos now on the ground, and is the vegetation green and somewhat lush? (this shoot is for a June?/uly cover and we need to achieve a summer look in our photo!)
- would any of you be able to provide information as to where exactly the trail that goes out of the gorge is located?
- has any of you shot pictures in this specific location?

Many many thanx for any information you can help with.
Sincerely,
SM

Sabine Meyer
Photo Editor