[pct-l] Barber Shops

What is of more importance than grooming is letting them know that you are a
hiker and not just some transient blowing through..Can be hard to tell
sometimes...Try to have your pack near you ,in plain view when thumbing,
Also, sunglasses off, hiking poles stowed, maybe even your hat off.....But,
sometimes that isn't even enough...I used one of those "Hiker to Town/Trail"
bandanas last season with good luck and was told on numerous occassions by
the driver that if it hadn't been for that bandana, he/she probably would
not have stopped...

here is what I am talking about: (scroll down)
http://www.lwgear.com/lwg-misc.html

Very important to let the civilians know where you are headed..and that will
be a short jaunt...

Which reminds me of a guy that I met during one of the many Hwy 2 road
crossings in SoCal...he was a section hiker that had injured himself and was
seeking a ride to the nearest medical facility..He had made a sign out of
some cardboard that read "Hiker to MD" and was thumbing westward towards
civilization.....

He said that the only nibble that he had got so far was a driver that had
slowed down just long enough to scream at him  "Maryland is in the other
direction"

He had since changed it to Hiker to Doctor..pays to be specific

Redwood