[pct-l] Reminiscing...

Yesterday, I was nearing the completion of my drive from Boulder, Colorado to Solvang, California, close to a 24-hour trip in a piece of junk truck like mine. I decided to head south en route to meet the PCT where it dissects the Palms to Pines Hwy (Hwy 74), and to visit Idyllwild once more. Once at the trailhead, I parked and started hiking. The rain was coming down in droves and not another soul was about.Then it happened. I swore to myself I was to hike the trail once more. I had told myself all along that I was going to hike it again after my thru-hike ended in 2002, but this time I signed the deal. After the emotional struggle of having to turn back, I collected some litter at the trailhead and made the quick drive up to Idyllwild, where it was intermittently snowing. I stopped in and ate at Jan's "World Famous" Red Kettle Restaurant. I laughed at the "World Famous" part, until I realized that it's very much the truth, thanks in part to the plethora of PCT thru-hikers who come
 through every April and May, many of whom are from other parts of our world! After breakfast (I had half of what I ate when I had hiked there under my own power), I visited Bruce Watts at Nomad Ventures, the local outfitter. I was his first customer all day. It was 2pm. He'd been reading Yogi's new PCT Hiker's Handbook and let me take a glance through it. Thanks to Yogi, I was fired up even more than I had been back at the trailhead! What is it about this trail?

-Chuckie