[pct-l] Reminiscing...

At 10:57 AM 2/27/2004 -0800, Chuckie V wrote:
>I stopped in and ate at Jan's "World Famous" Red Kettle Restaurant. I
>laughed at the "World Famous" part, until I realized that it's very much
>the truth, thanks in part to the plethora of PCT thru-hikers

I recall fellow through hikers comparing every meal they ate after
Idyllwild to Jan's Red Kettle and Jan's always came out ahead. I can't
think of a better breakfast anywhere, myself.

>Thanks to Yogi, I was fired up even more than I had been back at the
>trailhead! What is it about this trail?

In the section from Skyomish to Stehekin, I came across Chuckie V breaking
camp at 12 noon getting ready for the day's hike. He'd taken an ungodly
amount of food for a 4 day section and was stretching out his hike. He
wasn't a slowpoke, I'd seen him pass me at ungodly paces earlier, he was
prolonging a great a hike. It was absurd. As a through hiker, I was
conditioned to putting in as many miles as I could and here was Chuckie
doing the exact opposite. After a moment's reflection, it wasn't absurd,
but brilliant.

We were both a bit sore from a summer's worth of hiking, though. I recall
Chuckie V saying, "I'm through with walking after this. If you see me
anywhere, it will be with motorized wheels. You know those carts in the
supermarkets? I'll be on 'em!" I privately swore to sit on my ass for 2
weeks after the hike, watching nothing but movies. I never quite got around
to that, either.

What is it about the trail? Somehow the views, the quiet time to think and
generous people you encounter combine to create a powerful and compelling
experience. If it was just the views, I would just go back to the Goat
Rocks and the JMT. I could likewise visit the people easier by car.
Additionally, I can get more solitude in many places off the PCT. I think
the usual distractions and stresses of life leave us out of touch with what
is really important, while being on the trail makes things clearer and more
easily enjoyed. It's like going to a spiritual chiropractor.

Hope to see you on the trail soon, Chuckie.

Tangent