[pct-l] (pct-1) Elevation Gain

I'm convinced that it is almost impossible for an accurate measurement of elevation gain on the PCT. If every section of the trail was a constant, either gain, loss or flat it would be easy, but the contour of the land prevents this. In any given mile of up hill there will be some down hill. The Data Book is good for measuring point to point, but in between those points, the trail may dip several hundred feet. I tried using an altimeter when climbing Keriwick Canyon (Sp?) in Yosemite, but after about a dozen 50 feet + down hills I lost track.

Dave D.