[pct-l] more on PCT elevation gains

In a message dated 2/23/04 1:36:12 PM, atspaceman@hotmail.com writes:

<< Anyone who is relaying on the Data Book for figuring all the ups and downs
on the PCT is in for a rude awakening.  All the elevationsin the Data Book
come from landmarks used in the guidebooks which don't always happen to be the
high point or low point for that paticular few miles of trail. >>

That's for sure. I cussed more than a few times when confronted with some up
I wasn't expecting. But the data book does give a good minimum total elevation
gain and that is (drum roll please) 309, 791 feet, the equivalent of climbing
Rainier from Paradise about 34 times in 150 days for most thru hikers. The
actual gain is probably a few thousand feet higher but I certainly don't have
the time to examine all the topos -- the data book took long enough!
   David C.