[pct-l] RE: Whippet Questions

Excuse me if this has been covered already, but I just got back from a
camping trip and haven't had a chance to go through all the old lists.  Is
this the device made by Black Diamond that fits on top of a hiking pole and
functions like an ice axe?  I have heard about those things and have always
wondered how it is attached to the hiking pole.  I seem to remember that the
entire top section of the pole is removed and replaced with the Whippet, in
which case the Whippet must have its own grip and strap--or does it clamp on
the existing grip? If the Whippet is made by Black Diamond, does it fit on
and function properly on other brands of hiking poles such as Komperdell or
Leki?

John Coyle