[pct-l] Request for PCT factoids . . .

At 10:09 PM 2/22/2004 -0500, CMountainDave@aol.com wrote:
>So section K in Washington has the most elevation gain? I would have guessed
>from KM to Tuolumne (sp?)Meadows with all those mega passes. I'm betting the
>highest 50 mile stretch is in that section

You may be right. Craig's PCT Planner lists elevation gain between
re-supply points, not sections in its display. What I listed was elevation
gains between all my preferred re-supply points, not sections. Apologies
for any confusion.

I may a test itinerary in Craig's PCT planner with only two points, Campo
and Manning and no re-supply points. The elevation came out to 314,711 feet
(same number as I had before). Likely this is only the elevation gain
between the data points, so there is margin of error, but not a huge one.

>  My guesses: about 250 people started and 100 finished

I was in Stehekin the last day Meadow Ed was there in 2002. From Meadow
Ed's notes, it looked like around 400 started and, by the time I went
through Stehekin, about 133 finished. I'm sure a surprising number of
hikers were behind me. However, I may have misread the list of names; the
numbers seemed high to me.

Tangent