[pct-l] Seguoias

As others have indicated, the Giant Sequoias grow only on the western slope of the Sierra, between 5,000 and 6,000 feet. While the most famous (and largest) groves are in Sequoia National Park, one can find groves as far north as above the Rubicon River, a few miles southwest of Donner Pass. But there are two places that you can view the trees that can be reached within an hour of the trail if you hitch hike. There are two good size groves about 34 miles west of Toulome Medows in Yosemite, near the main highway and 39 miles west of Ebbotts Pass along highway 4 is California Big Trees State Park.

I've seen most of the groves and while the ones in the South are larger, they are all very big. Given the limited about of time a thru hiker has, leaving the trail at Ebbot's Pass and hitching to Big Trees is a good option.

Dave
"I don't recall anyone mentioning seeing any giant sequoia trees while
hiking through sequoia national park. When looking at a map of the park
I see that the giant forest section of the park is west of the trail.
Does anyone know of a trail or road that can get us over there ?"