[pct-l] Re: money

We took some travellers' cheques on our thru hike in 2003 and generally had
no problem using them. I think the key with money like with most things on
the trail is to be flexible and keep your options open. So we usually had
$100 cash, we had travellers' cheques and debit cards. We did not use credit
cards so that we did not have to worry about paying the bill or getting
charged the 19%+ interest!
The online Debit/Credit card authorization process is sometimes not working
so it's good to have something else as backup.
   At Warner Springs I could not use my debit card due to the authorization
process being down so offered the lady a travellers' cheque - I don't think
she'd seen one before but she did take it when I assured her that it was
really cash. That was the only occasion I had minor difficulties using the
cheques.
   At Tuolomne Meadows there was a problem with power and their tills so
they had to estimate the cost of purchases and they only took cash. Later in
the day the problem was resolved so they'd accept anything. So it can be a
situation of being in the right place at the wrong time!
   Just remember to keep the cash and travellers cheques double bagged to
keep out the rain and any other water you might find yourself in!

Alistair