[pct-l] Request for PCT factoids . . .

At 11:31 AM 2/22/2004 -0800, Kent Ryhorchuk wrote:
>The "How much altitude gain" question gets me thinking [...]
>It would be a piece of cake if somebody has bothered to take the
>databook and enter it in a spreadsheet. I'd imagine that the raw data of
>the databook is already a spreadsheet. Before I go out and do this
>myself, has anybody done it already?

I believe Criag Giffen did or at least he put it in a database. The PCT
Planner lists elevation gain in feet for each section. I copied the numbers
into an Excel spreadsheet and hit "sum" and got 314,711 feet or 59.6 miles.

I believe the elevation gain for the AT is 471,151 feet or 89.2 miles.

The numbers I used follow in order from south to north for each section:

5485
3500
10211
12307
8090
10428
11427
9042
7003
14287
10891
3950
4484
4626
12250
7635
7536
3070
11056
10275
1457
8000
11144
4185
10002
9883
6376
3541
10860
4845
4140
12385
8452
9025
13420
16720
12723
-------
314711

With Washington's section K missing, this is purely historical. :)

Tangent