[pct-l] MT Whitney PCT

"you're not suggesting that hikers skip Whitney, are
you?"

This is exactly what I am suggesting.  Then again, I grew up in Chicago
and never went to the Sears tower.  I went to Japan and didn't
climb Fujisan.  But, I do know my way around Devon Ave. and Hammamatsu
is a sweet town.  Whitney seems like a nice idea
at the time, but if I had a choice now between a day spent on Whitney and
another day on the PCT, I'd take the trail day without hesitation.
JMT hikers might feel differently about this, since Whitney is the
terminus.

The other attractions of Whitney don't really appeal to me.  A high up
bathroom just isn't very
attractive, neither is the zoo
that Whitney could be. I got an early start and so their were less than a
dozen people on top, though I did pass several hikers who never
made it, and tons on their way up.  I really thought the camp at
Guitar Lake was more scenic than the climb up Whitney, but then again
most things on the PCT are prettier than Whitney.  Of course, this is
only my opinion on things and different things appeal to different
people.

Suge

Christopher Willett
Department of Mathematics