[pct-l] Is foot size chang less of a problem with boots than with lightweight shoes?

As Ray Jardine and others have related, foot size can change up to a size or two over a multi-month hike.  All accounts of that which I've read have been from hikers who were wearing light running or trail running shoes (and presumably carrying fairly light packs).  In contrast, I've read PCT journals in which hiker/writers related wearing a single pair of boots for most or all of the PCT 2650 miles.  Supposedly their feet didn't grow enough that they had to replace the boots.  However, none of the writers stated whether boots were substantial all leather boots or lighter leather and fabric mid-height boots.

I'm interested in experience, either first or second hand, of hikes 1000+ miles in boots.  Did the boots become too small?  What wa the type of boot?

Thanks for any input.  I'll get around to subscribing to Joh Vonhof's ezine; just haven't done it yet.