[pct-l] bulk foods (and "REAL food" question)

We shipped ourselves resupply packages because we wanted  the same types of
foods you are looking for - and knew we couldn't count on finding them along
the trail. However, as we hiked, we constantly asked ourselves "could we
resupply here?". There were many places where we could, especially in
California where there were large grocery stores.  Resupplying along the way
avoids initial hours of preparation time and finding that what you sent is
not what you want.

Every year things change, so I am basing this on our 2000 PCT hike. At
places with snack stores, you can pick up a few things, but I wouldn't count
on a full 4-6 day supply.

The worst places, in my opinion, are:
        Mt. Laguna, Warner Springs (small store), Onyx (small store),
Kennedy Meadows (could be out of supplies), Muir Trail Ranch, Vermillion,
Kennedy Meadows (Sonora Pass), Burney Falls (unless you stop at
Chester/Burney), Belden (often out of everything), Seiad Valley (some
supplies), all of Oregon except Cascade Locks (unless you stop at Ashland,
Sisters/Bend), White Pass (little store), Snoqualmie Pass (small stores),
Stehekin.

Very good are: Big Bear, Agua Dulce (with car), Mohave, South Lake Tahoe,
Truckee (with car), Etna, Ashland, Cascade Locks/Portland.  There are others
if you go off trail a ways.

And, if you are lucky, hiker boxes along the way could be full of food you
want. Just don't count on it.

Marshall Karon
Portland, OR
m.karon@comcast.net