[pct-l] Aqueduct and Mojave

In a message dated 1/28/2004 4:53:26 AM Pacific Standard Time,
chwillet@indiana.edu writes:
> [...]
actual PCT (North) in order to experience the desert.<<<<<

If you stay on the aqueduct, walk until you cross the railroad tracks and
follow them into Mojave.  Alternately, stay on the aquaduct until you get to Oak
Creek Road, which is not much farther.   A hitch there is relatively easy.
The road comes out only a couple of blocks from White's Motel.  Assuming the
motel is still in PCT-hiker friendly operation ( it was in escrow last June), you
can get a ride back to Cameron Overpass where the PCT takes off north again.

On the other hand, if you want to experience the desert, my choice would be
to stay another day out near Cottonwood Creek and its lovely water, then head
over the Tehachapi Mountains anyway.  I have hiked through that section twice
in the last two years, and find it well worth the time.

On the third hand, if you REALLY want to experience the desert, stay on the
aqueduct until you get to highway 78 and get a ride up to Walker Pass.

No Way
Ray Echols