[pct-l] Bodies found on PCT at Mt Laguna

Here is a recent confirmation of the story.  This is not related to San Gabriels.

Bryan W

Authorites recover bodies near Mt. Laguna

SIGNONSANDIEGO NEWS SERVICES
1:19 p.m. January 26, 2004

CLEVELAND NATIONAL FOREST ? A sheriff's helicopter crew recovered two bodies from a rugged East County wilderness area near Mount Laguna today, authorities said.

A Boy Scout troop hiking along Pacific Coast Trail in the Cleveland National Forest came across one of the corpses on Saturday morning. A second male body turned up about five miles away later that day.

The body found by the scouts had its chest cavity hollowed out, possibly by a wild animal, according to investigators.

Fog and freezing temperatures postponed the recovery of the remains over the weekend. Investigators were unable to carry the bodies out on foot yesterday, but placed them into body bags pending the airlift.

The helicopter personnel got the corpses out of the remote area early this afternoon, sheriff's information officer Chris Saunders said.

Autopsies will determine the cause of death, according to an investigator with the San Diego County Medical Examiner's Office. It was unclear if any identification was found on either body.