[pct-l] PCT Map Programs Redux

Ok, my 2 cents:

I use DeLome as well as Topo! To plan my trips.
What I've found is that DeLome is consistently off by as much as 10% on the distance measurements. By the way, I've also found that the trail signs are also off by a similar percentage.
I've been shlepping my GPS along now. And what Delome says is 20.8 miles, from Morena Reservoir to Mt. Laguna, my GPS is telling me is 22.3 miles (I just did this segment this last weekend).
10 miles ends up being 11 and so forth.
I chalk this up to a couple factors:
1)	The mapping software simply cannot represent each and every switchback and turn of the trail, therefor, shortening the distance estimates. The straighter and flatter the trail is, the more accurate DeLome is.
2)	When the trail signs and USGS maps were created, they were manually surveyed. Created in pre-gps times. I've found benchmarks that were inaccurate to more than 50 feet (my gps is accurate to 3 meters if it's hitting on enough signals).
I always use software, guidebooks, personal advise and USGS topos to plan my trips. Between all of these, my info going into the trail is about as good as I can get.

M i c h a e l   S a e n z
McLarand Vasquez Emsiek & Partners, Inc.
A r c h i t e c t u r e    P l a n n i n g    I n t e r i o r s
w  w  w  .  m  v  e  -  a  r  c  h  i  t  e  c  t  s  .  c  o  m