[pct-l] Re: Advice (About cooking on a CatStove)

While answering the questions Bob asked below, I thought this subject might
be of interest to other hikers.  So, for what it's worth:
_____

Hi Bob!

First, I had no problem finding alcohol fuel on the AT.  At most resupply
points, you will find someone who will sell either alcohol or white gas by the
ounce.  Sometimes you can find extra fuel in or adjacent to hiker boxes.  (If
you take, it is good etiquette to buy some once in a while and leave the excess
for the next hiker in need.)

More than half the hikers on the AT last year were using alcohol stoves.
That figure is more like 70 percent on the PCT.  Ask other hikers, the
postmaster, hostel operators or outdoor outlets where you can find fuel.  I always
carried an extra three or four days of fuel (that's about 250 ml or half a pint) as
insurance.  Alternative sources are fuel line antifreeze (Heet), available at
gas stations or auto supplies, or shellac thinner, available at hardware or
paint stores.  Read the labels.  You can ship alcohol, but not gasoline, in
your resupply boxes if it is sent ground and properly labeled.

Here are some brief ideas about food you can cook on a CatStove:  I only
cooked one meal a day-- Dinner.  Cook near your water source so you don't have to
carry extra water.  My dinners are two courses:

The first course is either Ramen or a soup mix.  Two cups of boiling water --
one ounce (2 Tbsp) of fuel.)  Add dehydrated veggies if you like them.  I
carry red pepper (cayenne) to season the Ramen.

Second course (another two cups of water) is couscous, angelhair pasta or
potato flakes, to which I add a wide variety of sauces.  The "sauce" can be
anything from dried spaghetti leather (with the pasta) to an individual serving of
tuna fish (with potato, to make a thick soup.)  One of my favorites is
couscous with cashews and a sauce of chicken soup base and a bit of curry powder.

Most of these ingredients are packed dry.  Powdered chicken or turkey broth
can be bought in bulk at CostCo.  Tuna in foil packets costs a little more than
cans but you don't have to pack the can.

Some oil is needed for all these dinners.  I use olive oil, and carry it in a
250 or 500 ml disposable water bottle (the same as I use to carry my fuel.)
Use the screw-on lids.  These caps never leak unless you screw them on too
tight and crack them.  Those fancy pop-up valve tops do leak, and there's nothing
worse than loose olive oil in your pack.  (Yes, there is.  Gasoline.  One
drop of gasoline will ruin a whole pound of chocolate.)

My spice rack includes salt, black and red pepper, curry, and garlic powder.
I carry these in labeled 35 mm film canisters.  This spice rack will make you
very popular in the shelters!  I've heard comments that these film canisters
can release some toxic chemicals.  I don't worry about it.  Instead, worry
about using excess Deet or iodine on a long hike.

Oh, that's the other thing you should never carry inside your pack.  Keep
your Deet and your stove fuel in an outside pocket.  Good luck to you on your
hike!

TrailDad
_____