[pct-l] Whitney Scoop

> C Mtn. Dave says:
> Yet another good use for a bear "can." Might as well get your money's worth
> for the rental. Does the rental include a "wipe" out? Take a crap now has a new
> meaning!  So does pay as you "go." Take one to go is now take one if you go.

This is far more true than you know!  Last summer I walked into White Mountain
station to pick up my permit for a 20 day hike in Sequoia-Kings (Kearsarge entry).
The permit ranger asked me to participate in a voluntary program to "pack out my
poop" and wanted to hand me a stack of poop bags.  I laughed, said something to the
effect of "carry poop for 20 days, I don't think so! and declined the offer.

But seriously, she then told me I had to put my used toilet paper in my bear can,
with my food.  Used toilet paper, after all, is a "smellable".  Therefore, poop
bags must also be smellables.  Therefore, the poop bags furnished by the forest
service are presumable bearproof, or else they would be violationg their own
regulations.  Or, are we supposed to put our used poop bags in our bear cans with
our food?!?  Talk about giardia!  I figure it is only a matter of time before we
have to carry a bear can and a poop can.  Each day one gets more empty and the
other fills up.  Makes sense, doesn't it?  (I am sure it would make perfect sense
to a bureaucrat.  Don't tell them.)

In fact, this inspires a new product idea.  We have seen boy scout troops carrying
toilet seats.  How about a toilet seat that mates to a bear can?  (TIC)
Marion Davison