[pct-l] RE: Mt Whitney Questions

Seems to me I remember reading that several people were killed by lightning
(at the same time) while seeking shelter in the hut on top. It took a direct
hit.

   The dog routes on Mt Baker, Mt Rainier, Mt Hood, Mt Adams, and Shasta are
bad enough, but a climb of Whitney is an absolute joke, in my opinion. It's
about as wildernessy as a trip to a major city's park. It's basically an
extension of L.A.'s City park system for people who want a smog free workout. Hating
crowds like those at major ski resorts, and loving backcountry skiing where
solitude is the rule, I shudder at the thought of being on that trail in the
middle of summer. I climbed it in mid November and had the whole summit to my
selfish self.

  I had a nightmare once where my favorite place, the Olympics, was filled
with thousands of people in each and every valley having keggers, dirt bike
races, Mt bike races, eco challenges, snow board competitions, kayak races, spring
break bashes, biker gatherings, etc., etc. Basically an Adventure Magazine,
been there done that blowout for all the dudes and dudettes. Then I woke up and
realized I must have been thinking about Mt Whitney instead.
   Ah solitude, for which wilderness status was created.   David C