From: pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net] On Behalf Of
StoneDancer1@aol.com
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2004 7:41 AM
To: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: [pct-l] The High Sierra is calling

 And a good morning to you all.  Just a note to all you 2004 hopefuls.
PCT
time is coming!!  This morning, in the pre-dawn hours, I parked myself,
coffee
mug in hand (with just a dollop of Baileys - to cut the edges, mind you)
, in
the old hottub to watch the sunrise.  Down the canyon and across the
miles,
near the horizon, the sky gradually grew lighter and lighter until Red
Peak's
dark outline became visible.  Red Peak is in Yosemite National Park,
part of the
Clark Range of peaks, whose most famous summit, Merced Peak - where John
Muir
discovered the remnants of a glacier to prove his widely scoffed glacial

theory - is, sadly, not visible, but just out of sight to the south,
behind a
closer ridge.

Overhead, the sky was of the deepest blue-black, while near the horizon,
it
became lighter. running through shades of green-grey, through grey to
blue grey
to blue black, up into the morning air.  Then, as if on cue, the few
whispy
clouds took on a rose tint and morning bloomed.  The air around the
mountains
became brilliant silver.   On this morning, Red Peak is not red, but
snowy
white. Today is here.  The High Sierra is calling.... anybody besides me
hear it?

Soon you will be on the trail... and not a minute too soon. See you
there!!!

No Way
Ray Echols