[pct-l] The High Sierra is calling

 And a good morning to you all.  Just a note to all you 2004 hopefuls.  PCT
time is coming!!  This morning, in the pre-dawn hours, I parked myself, coffee
mug in hand (with just a dollop of Baileys - to cut the edges, mind you) , in
the old hottub to watch the sunrise.  Down the canyon and across the miles,
near the horizon, the sky gradually grew lighter and lighter until Red Peak's
dark outline became visible.  Red Peak is in Yosemite National Park, part of the
Clark Range of peaks, whose most famous summit, Merced Peak - where John Muir
discovered the remnants of a glacier to prove his widely scoffed glacial
theory - is, sadly, not visible, but just out of sight to the south, behind a
closer ridge.

Overhead, the sky was of the deepest blue-black, while near the horizon, it
became lighter. running through shades of green-grey, through grey to blue grey
to blue black, up into the morning air.  Then, as if on cue, the few whispy
clouds took on a rose tint and morning bloomed.  The air around the mountains
became brilliant silver.   On this morning, Red Peak is not red, but snowy
white. Today is here.  The High Sierra is calling.... anybody besides me hear it?

Soon you will be on the trail... and not a minute too soon. See you there!!!

No Way
Ray Echols