[pct-l] The High Sierra is calling

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kent Ryhorchuk" <kentr-lists@sbcglobal.net>

> Sometimes I find it hard to believe that I will trek through those
> mountains five months from now. Lately I have been doing some trip
> planning and it seems like there is so much work to do before we leave.
> This is a major move for Cathy and me because we will be packing and
> storing all of our stuff before we go. >
> Kent.

I remember sitting with my partner in a Mexican restaurant in Duvall
Washington on March 1, 1991.  She made the comment that we didn't have a
"couple project."  I asked her what she meant and she said it was something
that she and I would do as partners, something that would deepen and cement
the relationship.

I thought for a moment or two - no longer, and suggested, why don't we hike
on the pacific crest trail.  She asked what that was and I told her.  She
said, "ok, let's do it."  I figured we could average ten miles a day for 75
days.  This was pre-lightweight hiking.

I was heading into an MSW program the following fall, so I could easily quit
my job at the end of May, as could she, and head out.  We figured finances,
etc., on a napkin, and decided to do it.  We gave notice for the house and
jobs, and began to make lists for food, buy her equipment as she'd never
backpacked before in her life.  We rented a storage space ten miles from the
house we slowly filled over three months.  We bought food and infinite
baggies to put it in.  On May 31 we headed out to California, boxed the food
at my folks, and my dad and his buddy heading out for a trip into the Warner
Mountains dropped us off at the north boundary of Lassen.

The planning was wonderful and fun...

JEff
Laramie WY