[pct-l] Re: White Gas availability

Mt Goat

Gail and I used an MSR XGK for the whole of our thru hike in 2003. It worked
great - did not have to replace the jet, pump washer or flame spreader
during the 6 months on the trail. Only had to replace 2 'O' rings. But take
more than one jet cleaner.
We started with a fuel bottle and a spare can. But subsequently (after South
Tahoe ) dispensed with the spare can as our fuel consumption dropped to less
than a quart a week.
We got to Mount Laguna on day 3 and they had a 'hiker can' behind the
counter from which we filled our containers. After that at each town we
visited we asked if there was a hiker can and filled from it if there was
one or bought a gallon, took some and left the rest at the store for others.
At Big Bear they'll fill your container for a buck or two. The Sauffleys had
spare fuel. There was a hiker can at KM, Tuolomne M, Sierra City etc. I
won't list all the places but you get the idea.
At 4 places we bought a gallon of fuel and left the rest for people
following. We certainly bought less fuel than we used!

Alistair

> Message: 14
> Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 23:09:17 -0800 (PST)
> From: The Mountain Goat <themtgoat@yahoo.com>
> Subject: [pct-l] Gas stove Question
>
> Background:
> I am an old MSR White Gas lover.
> My partner uses those new "hexomine or whatever there called now" full
blocks.

> Ranting:
> I would like to use the MSR, but found out through this list you can't
send yourself white Gas. I noticed most of my resupply points have white gas
for sale. But I don't want to buy a gallon 26 times, only to need 8 oz. I
thought well, I could use gasoline, but how many of those places sell
gasoline, since you can buy it in any quantity.