[pct-l] Dog hiking

Though Caroly Eddy makes a great point, I don't think it's entirely logical
to say "due to individual difference some dogs are good hikers" and then
also imply, "all wildlife problems with dogs can be solved with training."
Dogs, like people, do vary in temperament and some are very difficult to
train.

Risk versus reward has been coming up on this list a lot recently. I think
taking dogs fall in with this too. For some the risk is worth the reward,
for others it is not. The ethics of impact and risk are personal. True,
impact on the environment affects everyone, but we all carry that burden
into the backcountry, not just dog owners.

I'm jealous of you guys with your svelte, athletic canines. My dog Meg is a
couch potato and collapses into a heap after a few hundred yards on a sunny
day.

Tangent