[pct-l] Dogs on the PCT

I have a hiking companion, a 7yr old Jack Russell Terrier named Bilbo
Baggins.  We have hiked from Eagles Roost to Bouquet Canyon and almost
1000 miles on other trails.  I realize dogs can be a nuisance to others
on the trail (Bilbo has a bad habit of walking into the path of Mountain
Bikers), but they can also be a source of joy and discovery, being an
extra set of eyes on the trail.  But my 16 lb. hiking buddy will eat
almost a lb/day, and beyond what he carries in his gut, I have never
gotten him to carry water.  Much as I love him, I don't think I would
hike the JMT, much less the PCT with him.  It's not the fear of him
getting hurt or dying because none of us get out of this life alive,
it's the grueling day after day after day that is not something he has
chosen but I have.  See you on the trail, Lars