[pct-l] White Gas/ and Stove Question.

Although I never really struggled to find it when I needed it, I still
found getting alcohol for my stove to be a hassle at times. I remember
leaving most of a gallon behind in the Kernville hardware store (there
is no hiker box in town there). I ended up filling up a 16oz bottle
whenever I could and was always carrying more fuel than I needed.

You could mail the extra alcohol from town to town in a drift box, but
that means it has to go parcel post which is kind of like playing
Russian Roulette on your box. Maybe it will get there before you, maybe
it won't. Maybe it won't get there at all. Priority mail is the way to
go, especially for shorter stretches between towns.

Alternatives I am looking at are the Sierra Zip, Nimblewill Nomad or
Garlington Wood-gas stoves which use natural fuels. Then you carry no
fuel at all. They have their drawbacks - hard to light, bad in the rain,
etc. I saw a few people in '02 just using cook fires on the ground. No
way will I be doing that - too much risk of starting a wildfire.

Regards,
Kent.