[pct-l] Gear List

like others on the list have stated, you will get tons of different
opinions on this, so just take the commenst you like and don't worry
about the rest.  you will be making adjustments to your gear for at
least the first few hundred miles and you will learn what you like
and don't like to carry.

here are some comments on your gear:
1.  I agree with marshall, you likely will not need more gear in the
sierra (except the ice axe).  I did 408 miles of the Sierras in one
of the heaviest snow years and carried barely anything.  although I
was in the sierras much later than a thru-hiker would be.
noetheless, I was quite ok with just a water-resistant rain suit, and
a fleece jacket, and stocking cap.  I carried very little clothing,
and was only cold on a few mornings, but warmed up as soon as the sun
came out.

2.  Not sure why you are switching between the two packs.  I always
liked finding one that works and sticking with it.  however, if two
packs works for you, then do that.

3.  depending on how warmly you sleep, you might be able to get away
with the 30 degree bag for the whole trip.  I used a 20 degree on my
408 mile sierra trip and we encountered snowfall and hail.  I woke up
many days when the grass was frozen and ice on the tent, yet I had
slept with the bag just draped over me and I was pleny warm.  In
2001, I did the JMT with a 14oz down blanket and stayed warm.  The 15
degree bag will definitely keep you warm, but ther are several low
spots in the sierra where you might be too warm (especially with a
liner).  Sleep is very important, so do what YOU think will work for
you.  All I can tell you is what i did, but if you sleep much colder
than me, it won't do you much good to do what I did in the sierra.

4.  Pants - all i took was my rain pants.  that did just fine for me,
but I didnt have anything to lounge around in in camp, or anything to
wear while washing my shorts.

5.  TAKE THE FLOPPY HAT IN THE SIERRA.  The sierra nevada gets
something like 300 days of sunshine.  You will definitely need a hat
that will keep the sun off of you.  If you don't take a hat, you WILL
get charred, or you will have to dowse yourself in sunblock to avoid
it.

6.  You wont need ski gloves.  I'd dump them.

7.  I never used a trowell.  I even met several die-hards that didnt
use toilet paper, but I can't say that I recommend that. :-)

8.  I never use a pee-bottle.  Its not like you are camping in a
himalayan glacier and risk life and limb to go outside yoru tent and
whiz.  you might get cold, but  i'd rather get cold than carry around
a pee-residue-contaminated bottle for 2600 miles.  Imagine if the lid
came un done in your pack and the liquid that you cant get out when
you pur it out get on your toothbrush.  no thanks.

9.  Tooth powder is lighter than toothpaste.

10.  I assume you have already heard way too much about a bear
cannister on this list. :-)

11.  i stopped carrying garbae bags and i do not miss them.

12.  one platypus is enough for me.

13.  mirror - who need vanity on the trail?  (I do not wear contacts,
so if you need them for that purpose, I beg your pardon.  ...or if
you carry it as an emergency signal device because it makes you feel
safe, I guess that's a good thing.  ...feeling safe is good).

14.  I never carry moleskin anymore.  Duct tape works so much better.

15.  First Aid Kit - if you think that you will need Ibuprofen, you
will likely need more than 1 pill.  For hard falls or sprains or even
migranes, Doctors frequently tell people to take 800mg of ibuprofen
(usually 4 tablets).  If you sustain an injury that requires
Ibuprofen, you may be days away from civilization and might wish you
had a few days supply of Ibuprofen.  You may also pass other hikers
that may need some.

Use duct tape instead of medical tape.  Its tougher and will last
longer when you are doing stuff outdoors all the time.  I dunno if
bandages are bandaids, but I'd throw a few bandaids in there.  One
HUGE thing that you are missing IMO is Betadine.  I carry one package
of Betadine drenched swabs that come in a sealed package.  You see
them alot in Emergency Rooms and Operating Rooms when they clean
wounds.  I am not sure where to get them, my wife is a doctor and
just brings them home from her office.  She also gets single-serving
packets of bactroban (triple-antibiotic ointment) which are very nice
because they weigh next to nothing.

One thing that I also always include in my first aid kit is a couple
of Immodium tablets (anti-diarhea).  One hike I was on, our water
filer didnt work 100% or something and we all had the runs for a
day.  I've carried a few immodium tabe ever since.

One last thing that i throw in my first aid kit is a few allergy
pills.  I rarely get allergies, but when I do I can't sleep.  Allergy
pills can also help fight really nasty allergic reactions to
poisonous plants and insect stings.  Some doctors tell patients that
are allergic to bee stings to immediately take benadryl as a good
precautionary measure if they get stung, so that the medicine can
help reduce the allergic reaction on the way to the ER.  Benadryl can
also help alleviate itching from poison ivy or poison oak.

I usally just throw all the pills into one tiny ziplock (like 1" x
2") to avoid carrying heavy bottles.  These little tiny ziplocks also
work graet for iodine water treatment pills (that little glass bottle
is a total waste of weight).

Hope some of this Helps.

peace,
dude