[pct-l] northern cascades

In a message dated 1/7/04 2:47:01 PM, wl_adams@ColoradoCollege.edu writes:

<< Our departure time is looking to be around

the 15th of June and I am concerned about the weather in northern

Washington >>

I don't ant to discourage you, because it would be presumptuous of me to know
what your abilities are, but given that snowpack in Wa. is about 150% of
normal, I would bet the farm that Harts Pass will not melt out until at least July
1. Paradise on Mt. Rainier until July 15 and Goat rocks Aug 1. The PCT along
Mt Adams until mid July. So you will be camping and walking on snow for most
of the Wa. section if you start southbound on June 15. This is not a fact, but
a big likelihood, so go for it if you are experienced in snow travel and
navigation skills. The good side is there won't be any bugs!
 As for weather, who knows? June is usually quite foggy in the Cascades due
to the snow pack, but not always. And an unusually warm May and June could eat
up the snowpack
   And due to lots of trail damage around Glacier peak, there could be some
lengthy detours