[pct-l] Early Season Fording Techniques?

In a message dated 1/5/04 4:18:18 PM, themtgoat@yahoo.com writes:

<< I have for years, just taken my boots/shoes off and crossed those streams,
though sometimes, if it is particularly difficult, I will take off just my
socks and cross in boots/shoes so I don't end up with wet socks. >>

This is what I do, too. I find the leather doesn't soak up that much water in
the few minutes it takes to cross.  Sandals work just as well, but tie your
boots to your pack. I don't like going barefoot -- too easy to slip and fall, I
think -- or get a cut. Don't hand carry your boots because if you slip, you
may let go to keep your balance and its bye bye boots. If it is waist high, of
course, your pants get wet, but supplex nylon dries really fast, especially in
the Sierra. The main thing is to keep your pack above water. I don't think
I'd risk a crossing in chest high water, unless I absolutely had to. I would
travel up and down stream to find a log or log jam to cross first. I'd probably
camp as close as possible to the creek crossing and wait for morning when the
water is normally lower