[pct-l] Early Season Fording Techniques?

I'm reading Blistered Kind of Love.  They talk about stream crossings in the
Sierras chest high.  This is early season - cold, snow melt water, etc. They
don't say how they dry off.  My assumption is they are hiking in quick dry
synthetics and walk till they are dry.  For those of you that have done it, how do
you avoid hyperthermia? Do you take your boots off, etc?  I hike this area in
summer, and take considerable effort to stay dry - boots off, switch to
lightweight river shoes, but water never more than thigh high, so wondering how you
early season pct hikers do it?

Ralph Alcorn
www.backpack45.com
Shepherd Canyon Books
Publisher of We're in the Mountains, Not Over the Hill: Tales and Tips from
Seasoned Women Backpackers